Book your place with:

Get in touch

t: 0131 220 5999

Bolton Wanderers 2005

Football Aid Championship, Sunday 29th May, The Reebok Stadium, Kick Off 10.45, att 195


It was a bright but breezy day in Bolton for the Wanderers leg of the Championship. After a tour of the stadium, all the players squeezed into the Away changing room (the Home changing room was closed for refurbishment!) to meet their celebrity captains for the day, David Lee (Home) and John Thomas (Away).

After a good warm up, the game kicked off and it was the Home side that dominated the first half. After only 10 minutes, they were awarded a penalty, which was swiftly taken by midfielder, Phil Norris. Goalie Jason Clarke made a great save but failed to secure the ball allowing Phil to score on the rebound. The Home side continued to put the pressure on and only 8 minutes later, Phil scored again with a very cheeky chip into the back of the net. The half time score 2-0 to a confident home side.

Half time team tactics from John Thomas must have been particularly inspiring as the Away side came steam rolling into the second half, scoring a cracking goal seconds after kick off. Motivated from no 8 Martin Thomasson’s goal, the Away side had a great chance only minutes later, which was well saved from goalie, Jason Hoare.

However, the Home side, egged on by the ever-vigilant David Lee, soon took command of the game again with striker Daniel O’Kell scoring after 15 minutes to increase their lead. The Away team defended valiantly against a constant barrage from the Home side with four consecutive chances well saved from a stoic defence. No 5 David Mort finally broke through with a sizzling strike from 30 yards out with no 11 Graham Wilkes, scoring after 34 minutes, making up for an earlier first half miss.

A great second goal from Daniel O’Kell after 40 minutes looked to finish the Away side but they fought to the dying end and enjoyed a last gasp goal from legend John Thomas in the 43rd minute, leaving the final score 6-2.

Man of the match went to defensive dynamos John Jessop (Home) and Christian Alcock (Away).

After the match Daniel O’Kell commented, “I would just like to say a big thanks to Football Aid for organising the event. I've dreamt of being a pro footballer since I was a little boy and on Sunday, my dream came true! I loved every minute from start to finish and thanks to all involved for making it one of the best days of my life. Now I am saving up for next year!

Event Photography and Filming - Over 500 fantastic action photos of this match are available from Matt Nuttall Photography, please visit his website for full order details –
In addition there is a superb DVD available of this year’s game at The Reebok, it includes footage of the pre-match build up as well as full match action and can be ordered by contacting Shane Wilkinson on tel - 07976 509335, or by e-mail at -
A percentage of all these sales will go towards Football Aid’s chosen charities.